Skip to content


Funding for Private Speech-Language Pathologist Services

Speech-language pathologists who work in the private sector provide services on a fee for service basis. Families or individuals will be asked to pay for these services or to authorize the speech-language pathologists to bill a funding source.

Please note: BC’s basic Medical Services Plan does not cover the cost of private speech, language, or swallowing services.

Possible funding sources for Speech-Language Pathologist Services include:

Your extended health plan: check with your insurance provider to see if they cover speech-language pathology services (speech-language evaluation and/or therapy).

WorkSafeBC provides coverage for individuals with injuries that occur as a result of a workplace accident.

ICBC Autoplan may provide accident benefits and reimbursement for “reasonable and necessary” expenses related to rehabilitation services for individuals with injuries, including speech-language therapy.

Government funding sources for children’s services

The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) provides individual funding for speech-language pathology services to eligible clients through the following programs:


The following charities determine family eligibility and provide individual grants for children with special needs if requirements are met:

Variety – A Children’s Charity
CKNW Orphan’s Fund

Funding for Audiology Services

Many hearing services are offered through schools, health centres, hospitals, and treatment centres. These services are publicly funded or have a minimal charge.

In BC, there are also a number of specialized programs, such as specialized early intervention programs for children diagnosed with a hearing loss.

For more information about services for children, contact your local health unit or children’s hospital. For adults, contact a local private hearing clinic for more information.

Where to get hearing services in BC

AgeLocation and costWho can refer

Babies BC has a universal hearing screening program for babies born in BC. The program provides free screening, follow-up diagnostic assessments, first set of hearing aids, and communication and family supports. If your baby’s hearing was not screened in the hospital after birth, contact your public health authority for information on local public health audiology clinics.
Children Preschool and school-aged children receive services at public health audiology clinics.Some services may not be available at a public health clinic (e.g., auditory processing assessment & treatment), but may be available at a private clinic. Anyone can refer a child with a parent or guardian’s permission (e.g., parent, SLP, nurse, doctor).Contact your public health authority for information on local public health audiology clinics.
Adults (19+) Adult services are generally provided at local private audiology clinics. The Medical Services Plan (MSP) does not cover hearing tests.Some adults may be eligible to receive services at the public health audiology clinic. Services provided at public health audiology clinics are free. You can always refer yourself.Private audiology services are listed on Speech and Hearing BC’s list of private audiologists, on the internet and  in the yellow pages.Adults may be eligible for free services if they are dependant and require 24-hour care, or reside in a care facility. Contact your public health authority for information on local public health audiology clinics.